President Donald Trump speaks after meeting with New York City Mayor-elect Zohran Mamdani in the Oval Office of the White House, Friday, Nov. 21, 2025, in Washington.
Evan Vucci/AP
hide title
toggle title
Evan Vucci/AP
WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said Friday night that he will “immediately” end temporary legal protections for Somali immigrants living in Minnesota, further taking aim at a program seeking to limit deportations that his administration has already repeatedly sought to weaken.

Minnesota has the largest Somali community in the country. Many fled the long civil war in their East African country and were drawn to the state’s welcoming social programs.
But the number of immigrants who would be affected by Trump’s announcement that he wants to end temporary protected status could be very small. A report prepared for Congress in August put the number of Somalis covered by the program at just 705 nationwide.
Congress created the program that grants Temporary Protected Status in 1990. Its goal was to prevent the deportations of people to countries suffering from natural disasters, civil conflict or other dangerous conditions.
The designation can be granted by the Secretary of Homeland Security and is granted in 18-month increments.
The president announced his decision on his social media site, suggesting that Minnesota was “a hub of fraudulent money laundering activity.”
“Somali gangs are terrorizing the people of that great State and BILLIONS of dollars are missing. Send them back to where they came from,” Trump wrote. “It’s over!”

The Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said Trump’s decision “will tear families apart.” CEO Jaylani Hussein said in a statement Friday night: “This is not just a bureaucratic change; it is a political attack on the Somali and Muslim community driven by Islamophobic and hateful rhetoric.”
Trump promised, during his campaign to retake the White House last year, that his administration would deport millions of people. As part of a broader push to adopt hardline immigration policies, the Trump administration has moved to roll back several protections that had allowed immigrants to remain in the United States and work legally.
That included ending TPS for 600,000 Venezuelans and 500,000 Haitians who were granted protection under President Joe Biden. The Trump administration has also sought to limit protections previously granted to migrants from Cuba and Syria, among other countries.

